Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When the stars align...

To start with, I apologize that I have no pics to post at the moment. I am at the school and do not have my camera or SD card with me. I wanted to share my day with everyone nonetheless.

Before today:
I delivered our workshop in a condensed 2-day format to 27 teachers at E.P Yorke HS here in Belize City. It went well but we had our fair share of challenges; the internet, in particular. After the first day I had to reconsider much of the workshop and how to work around a very slow internet connection and other strangely unique web browser issues that we experienced. This included installing Google Chrome on all the PC's in the lab, setting up continuous pings and pairing up teachers to one PC to free up bandwidth.

In the end, the teachers still felt that they took some valuable information and skills from the two days. Before the end of that second day, however, my Belizean associate, Noel, advised that there was a nearby high school that he knew had a much more efficient lab so we investigated to see if we could use it... so an hour into my workshop with group #2 today, I got word that it was available so we jumped on the opportunity and moved everybody over... the stars aligned. :-)

My group was only 7 teachers (unsure why) and the computers and internet speeds are on par with any lab I've used back home. So to let everyone know, with a small class size and hardware that operates the way we are used to (or better), the day 1 workshop went extremely well and almost exactly as planned and right on time. Kudos again to Sandra for all the materials and planning.

I saw a lot more learning happening today with very little tech-frustration and it was nice to have a real sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.
I'll post pics and another post soon!

Cheers,
Will

1 comment:

  1. So good to hear your day was so successful and your enthusiasm comes through loud and clear! Continued success for your next two days...
    Sandra :-)

    ReplyDelete